Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating an Input for Different Excel Files.

michael_franz
8 - Asteroid

I have 1 workflow that uses 2 input files. Each output file has a different name, instead of just renaming them. I'd like to link to both but chose which one I'd like to run the workflow for.

4 REPLIES 4
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @michael_franz,

I'm not sure your post provides enough information for Community to help you with. Can you provide more details and specify what exactly you need help with? Also, screenshots, sample data, and/or workflows that you're able to add/attach would also be very helpful to reduce the guesswork of helping you find a solution.

Kind regards,

Jimmy

michael_franz
8 - Asteroid

Sorry for not providing enough information. We have 2 divisions in our company. Each run under a separate code in our payroll system. For sake of discussion, Co. "ABC" and Co. "123"...

Each company kicks out a separate export file that goes to a particular file location on the network. File #1 called glABC.xlsx and File #2 gl123.xlsx......   The payroll system can't create 1 file so that option is off the table.

My thoughts on possible solutions.

1. Have 2 separate workflows, linking to the 2 different files. glABC.xlsx and gl123.xlsx
    1. The issue I see with this is dealing with change and changing both work flows.
  2. Just have 1 workflow and connect to the relevant output before processing
  3. Make the payroll extracts the same name but process them one at a time in Alteryx

All of the above suggestions do provide me solutions, but in my quest to learn more about the tools available I was/am looking for another options.

image.png

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

You can have multiple inputs in a workflow. I didn't figure that out right away when I started using Alteryx.

I'm wondering if something like a Join tool is what you're looking for. 

Capture.PNG

If you need to differentiate the source files, you can either use a Formula tool as above or you can even output the file name as a field by changing the drop down option in #5 of the Input tool. Hope that makes sense. If not, then provide more details.

michael_franz
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much. It worked and It'll save me lots of time and effort

Labels