Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating a "Not Equals" Join

wiggot
7 - Meteor

Has anybody created a join where the result set you're looking for is what is NOT equal between the two?

This edit check is run on a frequent basis. I've got a result set, from my database, of about 500 units where I need to review taxability. I've got an Excel file of a couple hundred units that I've already reviewed, which can safely be ignored in future reviews.

I want everything EXCEPT where the unit number in the result set and the unit number in the Excel file match.

In Hyperion and TOAD I can do a "Not Equals" between the join fields, and get what I'm looking for. Is there a way to do the same thing in Alteryx?

Warren T.

3 REPLIES 3
wiggot
7 - Meteor

Nevermind. I only need the Left result side, where there's no match from the Right.

I guess, if I wanted to create a true OUTER JOIN, I would have to separate the Left and Right output sets and then UNION them back together, so that I have no overlaps. Seems excessive. (And, in this particular scenario, I wouldn't want the right side data anyways).

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Is this essentially not what you can do by looking at the Left and Right outputs from the standard join.

I.e. specify your join criteria. Your J records will be those that match (clearly they don't matter to you). The right anchor will give items from the right that don't exist on the left and on the left side you have records that exist on the left but not the right.

Ben
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Didn't see your answer! You should mark your 2nd post as the solution!

Ben
Labels