Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating a new field with a data and adding to that date

delcarpiosamuel
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

Can someone please help me with the following?

I want to add a new field for dates to my data. Dates are not part of my input data. 

I want to be able to have "10/27/2019" for the date field for this week and then next week add 7 days so the field reads "11/3/2019". Additionally, I want the field to be a date not a string. 

I've tried using the formula and the date time tools but I cannot find a way to add the 7 days for next week's data. 

Thank you!

Sam 

4 REPLIES 4
JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Hi @delcarpiosamuel,

The DateTime tool is a user-friendly way of converting string data into dates. Once the data is in date format, you can use DateTimeAdd() function to add 7 days to it.

Let me know if you have any questions or need help on this.

Thanks,

Josh

delcarpiosamuel
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, Josh!

How would you recommend creating the date field in the formula tool?

Currently, I have ToDate(43765) and Data Type as Date to get 2019-10-27. How can I convert it to 10/27/2019? And is there a better way to input the date field using the formula tool?

delcarpiosamuel_0-1572624867467.png

Using the formula you provided I was able to get the field to show as 2019-11-03! How can I change it to show 11/03/2019?

delcarpiosamuel_1-1572624999865.png

Thank you for your help!

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Hi @delcarpiosamuel

You could use the DateTime tool again to format the standard yyyy-MM-dd date format to a different format like MM/dd/yyyy.

In this case, configuring the DateTime tool like below should solve your issues.

date format.PNG

However, note that Alteryx will treat 10/27/2019 as string data instead of date data.

Josh

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

To convert a date field to the MM/DD/YYYY format, use the following expression:

DateTimeFormat([Date],"%m/%d/%Y")

This can be incorporated into the formula you already have:

DateTimeFormat(ToDate(42765),"%m/%d/%Y")

Labels