Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Creating a new column out of an old column's data

mwwood
5 - Atom

Hi I am doing a project for school and this one step seems really simple but I can't figure it out.

"Use a formula tool connected to the true output anchor of the Filter tool for Step 2
Part 7 to add a new column labeled "Pretax Income – Domestic" which is equal to
[IncomeLossFromContinuingOpeartionsBeforeIncomeTaxesDomestic]"

I tried just setting the formula as =[IncomeLossFromContinuingOpeartionsBeforeIncomeTaxesDomestic] and I keep getting an error message. I can't think of any other way to just straight up make a new column contain an old column's data, because it doesn't seem like something I would need a full conditional statement for. Any help would be appreciated! 

2 REPLIES 2
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @mwwood 

1- First, you need define a name for new field .

2- Just like you said, only input old field name in expression box, don't need "=". 

[IncomeLossFromContinuingOpeartionsBeforeIncomeTaxesDomestic]

3- Make sure the data type of the new field and the old field  are the same.

Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

Hi @mwwood ,

I think the problem is that your expression is empty.

If you create a column with the formula tool without an expression below, you will get an error message.

Attached is a stream where I create exactly the requested column being a result of a product by 2 with an existing column. You can modify it as you want, I made this calculation just as an example.

Emmanuel_G_0-1663344713734.png

Labels