Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating Sequential workflows with interdependencies

akhavea
5 - Atom

Hello

I am have three branches / tool containers with workflow steps integrated to one another using field values to run. In the first tool container once the output file is created and sent outside Alteryx for processing data it takes roughly 5 - 10 mins to generate the expected output

The output file generated above becomes a requirement to be present for the subset of the workflow to be running later

Because the file above takes 5-10 mins, I couldn't find a way to delay the process for a Directory tool to read the folder where ideally I want to file to be created in the folder first and then read by the Directory tool so I can process my output file and have a successful result

I saw the options of using Events tab and creating a Run Command option or using a CREW macro 'Wait A Second'

All need some kind of dependencies which I cannot put

Is there any way where I can delay the Directory Tool to read the folder in a delayed timeframe which in my case is roughly 10 mins +

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

have you looked into chained apps?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

This would make sure that the second workflow didn't run until the first workflow is complete (ie the file is written).

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @akhavea ,

Considering that in your usecase there is a time gap of 5-10 mins, introducing a delay for that long will only take up your memory resources while it is waiting.

Although the concept of chained applications does enable execute multiple apps one after another, it would not necessarily wait for 5-10 minutes before running the second app.

Can you please confirm if you have the option to run this on the server?

In that way you can create the first application to run and send the output for further processing. Once the output/input has been created for the second workflow, you can possible use the Gallery API to run the second workflow by invoking from an external application/script. In that way you will not block your memory recourses but at the same time be able to manage the timings.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Jagdeesh

dfurlow
8 - Asteroid

Maybe worth contributing to/voting for this Idea

akhavea
5 - Atom

Thank you for all the answers and suggestions. I actually used the CREW Macro "Wait a Second" which stops the workflow in the middle. @JagdeeshN I have access to run it on the server. Server blocking the memory is not an issue because the workflow I created is used on demand only not run as a scheduled job so the memory hold up is temporary and server can handle the load which I got confirmed from SMEs

Labels