Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating Keys based on customer IDs and 30 Day Peroids

JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

Have an interesting use case:

I want to group and make keys for customers (attached is the data I am using as an example)

I want to take a customer and make a key for them (IE starting at 1 and the "second key" would be 1)

The second time that customer has a line WITHIN 30 DAYS, the key would be 1 and a second key of 2
If another occurrence of this happened WITHIN 30 DAYS, the key would be 1 and the second key would be 3.

If the occurrence then happened outside of 30 days, they first key would go to 2 and the second key would go to 1 (ie 2.1) making a tree.

When it hits 112 customer, then I want it to go back to 1.1 for a new customer. I hope that makes sense......

Capture.JPG

TLDR; Making keys for users based on 30 day periods of last tickets 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Multi-Row tool is going to be your friend on this one... could probably be done more efficiently, but this is at least pretty transparent. Take a look at the attached example - hope that helps point you in the right direction!

Keys.JPG

Cheers,

NJ

JordyMicheal
11 - Bolide

I love it.

I went with the same start, but missed the FLOOR in the 3rd.

Thanks Nicole! A true wizard as always

Whodathunkit
7 - Meteor

Thanks @JordyMicheal and @NicoleJohnson!

I'm just dissecting the second Multi Row Formula, trying to understand what's going on. Sorry if all of this is quite basic, but I'm fairly new to this.

For Else Floor([Row-1:Key1])+1, what does "Floor" do in this instance? I thought floor was just used for rounding and it doesn't seem like there's a need to round anything here.

Also, in the same expression, Elseif [LessThan30] Then [Row-1:Key1], is there nothing needed after the [LessThan30] as it's a True/False statement? If nothing is stated, is it implied to be True?

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Oops!! That Floor was totally a leftover from the first method I used, where Key 1 & 2 were combined (so 1.1 in a single field instead of 1 and 1 in two fields). Forgot to take out the Floor portion when I went to the 2 keys method. 🙂 Nice catch!

You could use Else [Row-1:Key1] + 1 and it would work just fine for the second Multi Row Formula... as for your question about True/False, I set up the [LessThan30] field to be boolean type (True/False) so there is nothing else needed beyond the field itself to evaluate whether it is True or False. If I had set it up as a string or numeric field data type instead, I would have to modify the expression to be something like Elseif [LessThan30] = 1 Then [Row-1:Key1].

Hope that helps, and thank you for asking these questions to help with clarification!!

NJ

Whodathunkit
7 - Meteor

That helps a ton and makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation on both points. The workflow is working great and has made the hours I spent earlier on this completely unnecessary lol.

Thanks again!

Tyler

Labels