Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Creating Hyperlinks for values in output table to actual detailed data

skotian1289
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

I have a workflow that reconciles 2 files for multiple attributes and it gives me a detailed reconciliation output plus a second output which is summary table with overall numbers.

I am trying to create hyperlinks in my summary output so that if the user wants to view certain section then by clicking then can be redirected to detailed reconciliation output.

Let me explain you with a sample, below is an example of my summary report and I have a another output which contains all the data . So just in case if a user decides to click on number "300" for BOB - Sales in NY, I want those 300 sales underlying detailed data to open up in a new sheet . I know it is possible in excel but I am trying to figure out if this can be done in alteryx.

Summary Output table

Person     Total Sales     Sales in NY      Sales in Chicago

BOB         600                  300                     300

Jack          900                  500                     400

Tom           300                  150                    150

If any of my alteryx geniuses can help me solve this would be really helpful.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
wwatson
12 - Quasar

@skotian1289  You seem to be trying to replicate the pivot table drill through that you get in an Excel Pivot table.

I am not sure you can really do that with Alteryx. You can create a workbook with multiple sheets to show the detail in a separate sheet.

I am not sure you can create a link behind the number to jump to the detail sheet though

DanielG
12 - Quasar

Hi @skotian1289 

I am assuming that "Figure out if this can be done in Alteryx" just means to have Alteryx build the Excel for you and not some other type of output altogether.

That being said, you cant create Excel functionality (that I am aware of, so someone chime if I am wrong) beyond basic formatting with Report Tools in Alteryx, but what you can do is create a template in Excel and dump the data into some named ranges on a secondary or tertiary sheet, then create your pivot to feed from those sheet(s).  

Depending on how much your data changes across various runs, you'd probably want to dynamically create raw data sheets for each grouping that you'd want to be clickable, then code Excel with VBA to pull from the row and/or column name to call up that particular sheet.

Hope this points you in a good direction.  🙂   Have a great day.

In my opinion, I'd even make the "raw data sheets" as named ranges too, that way you can create additional functionality on those pages to, i.e. hyperlink to return to the main pivot or stuff like that.

Labels