Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating Event Rooms with representative groupings

mmarcoux
5 - Atom

Hi, 

Here is the case : 

I have a dataset of people (70) and their respective ranks (1 through 9). For an event, I would like to assign all the population in 10 groups (in this case: each group would be composed of 7 people) for a first round of discussion. Each group will then discuss for a period of time. Ideally, all groups would be of the same number of people. 

Here are the conditions that complicate the problem : 

1) The groups have to be sensibly in line with the population rank repartition. For example, if rank 4 represents 14%  (10 people) of the population, there should be 1 in each group. 

2) I have to be able to create multiple rounds of discussion that won't give me the same assignations as the other rounds. 

I don't how to semi-randomly assign with alteryx or even if its possible. Thanks in advance for your guidance, 

1 REPLY 1
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @mmarcoux,

Here's a solution for you! Someone can probably come up with a simpler solution, but I designed this one so it hopefully is easy to use despite the layers. I wrapped a batch macro inside an iterative macro, and you can customize the number of groups and number of rounds. The random aspect comes from using the function RandInt() to assign a random integer to each name. I hope it helps!

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 2.19.12 PM.png

* file updated 1/14/21

Labels