Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating Error Log for Export

plundgren
6 - Meteoroid

I'm brand new to Alteryx after a stint in SQL development. My question is this: I will be working to create error reports based on nightly workflows, and I could use some advice on how to best send error/conversion messages to an external file. This file would ideally be part of an existing workflow, and would be emailed automatically to specific recipients. I know how to create a report, and how to email it. My stumbling block is how to export the error messages into the report. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Check out the Events available on the Workflow Configuration window. One of the events you can configure is to send an email after the workflow has finished running that contains the output log of that workflow.

Event Email Log.png

plundgren
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the reply--that'll definitely help.

RodLight
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS 

Any thoughts on how to get the log info if you have a web email service like Gmail or Hotmail that requires TLS and can't be configure in the Email Event process?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@RodLight 

In that case, you'd probably need to rely on the Logging Directory (configured in System Settings > Engine > General) and return what you need from there. 

Also, past email discussions have lead me to the Inviso macro pack for gmail in Alteryx:

https://inviso.dk/blog/post/inviso-macro-pack-gmail-integration-

https://inviso.dk/blog/post/alteryx-and-google-s-oauth2-a-macro-to-solve-your-problems

I hope this helps get you where you need to go.

RodLight
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS 

Thanks for the reply.

I've seen the Invisio macros for email. I need to investigate them further, but they initially don't strike me as being that intuitive to set up. I've made use of building out a simple process using SendEmail that is working.

The issue with using the logs is that a log for a currently running process is blank until the process actually completes (including any "rear end" tools like the Email tool or macros, and events), which means that you can't get the log from a process "within" the workflow. 

I'm going down the road of creating a scheduled process that runs on a frequent basis that pulls all of the logs for a given time period and then determines (based on key words) whether a workflow that recently ran is considered an "exception" and needs to be reviewed.

At this point that's my best idea. If you can think of anything better, would appreciate your insights!

Thanks again,

Rod

Avinesh
7 - Meteor

How to export all the output log in excel, primarily the conversion errors.

I want this to be generated as an output along with final output of workflow.

carlosmartinezm
7 - Meteor

an answer to this will be really helpful

madalena
5 - Atom

Hey, will that work while using the Alteryx server to do a run?

Labels