Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating Dummy Variable with large Number of Values

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

Dear Alteryx Experts 

I want to use linear regression for prediction, but I have a problem with the predictor variables (X-axis) 3 of them are categorical and I have at least 60 values on each of them , If I use formula tool for creating dummy variable I believe it will take more than 2 or 3 days to do so , can anyone tell me how to solve this issue faster? 

Note (If macro needed please provide it with workflow example for dummy creation for 60 values). 

14 REPLIES 14
MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

The same thing will happen even if I use R, I'm sure for that, I have experience with R, For Python, I think it will work but

I 'm not Python developer, can I get feedback from @jdunkerley79 and @BenMoss how to deal with this issue? 

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

As you have done the work inside Alteryx, you shouldn't get the error from the linear regression anymore?

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

I didn't get your point?

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx
Sorry, what I meant is that using the transpose and crosstab has pulled the work out of R and into Alteryx, so you shouldn't get the matrix error anymore?
MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

There is no error from the dummy variables, I mean in the regression tool it cannot handle this large matrix of dummy variables created, It has a memory limitation problem.  

Labels