Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create state map w/ polygon outline

IrisLu
5 - Atom

Hi trying to follow Alteryx example to create US state map but can't get state outline, the example using input data contains spatialobj column with Polygon already. I try to pull state latitude and longitude which produce Centroid column with Point by using Creat Points. Please help to guide how I can create a map with states outline instead of points? 

My map:

IrisLu_0-1608020732829.png

Target map:

IrisLu_1-1608020762930.png

Thanks,

Iris

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @IrisLu 

I dont think centroid can give you the outline polygon. Can you share me the example which you are using so that we can try and help you out 🙂

Ben_H
11 - Bolide

Hi @IrisLu,

When using the map tool you have to select the appropriate spatial object for the layer you're trying to display.

It sounds like you currently have 2 different spatial objects - 1. The polygons from your input file, 2. The centroids you have generated.

In your first screen shot you have "first_centroid" selected in the spatial field drop down - you need to change that to the polygon field.

The fact that it's called first_centroid in here suggests you've summarised the data - if so you may have dropped out the polygon when you did that.

Regards,

Ben

IrisLu
5 - Atom

Thanks guys you all sounds correct - I don't have the polygons in my input file - try to understand how I could add polygon to state list.

Below is the file I found in Alteryx Start Here.yxmd > 06 Analyze and report on traffic fatalities.yxmd > Input Data (35) has Spatial Objects column for states (snip below), and I just would like to have the exact same input file so that I can pull state map. 

IrisLu_1-1608050700644.png

Thanks,

Iris

PhilipL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @IrisLu,

The actual file with polygons can be found in your Designer sample data. The folder location may vary based on the version of Designer. Here's an example:

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\Alteryx 2020.3\Samples\data\StartHereData\State_file.yxdb

Also, Alteryx offers additional spatial data that you can download. Log into your "Product Downloads" with your account credentials and you can download the US Census 2010 Data, which includes multiple files of US spatial data.

PhilipL_0-1608054863965.png

Cheers!

Phil

Labels