Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Create polygons around points with similar density

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

I have lat/long data that are used to create points on a map. I want to create polygons around groups of these points based on density. So in my poorly color-coded drawn example below, I have 4 different areas that I would want polygons around. The red and black have similar densities, but they are separated due to the null area (less dense) between them, so they would have separate polygons. As an added bonus, I would like to limit the number of points in each polygon to a set amount as well. This doesn't have to be perfect. It would be fine if the red black and purple ended up in 1 polygon. I have been toying around with making grids and then trying to group the grids together, but still haven't quite got there.

rtlane_1-1634820505933.png

3 REPLIES 3
AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@rtlane , could you provide some sample data and the expected result on the data?

Also, take a look at this link https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Dot-Density-Macro/ta-p/1266

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

rtlane
8 - Asteroid

Here you go. The points are the sample data and the final polygons would be the expected output. 

AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@rtlane ,

Take a look at this workflow. It hasn't reached the same result you expect, but it includes some concepts like clustering lat/lon and using a macro to aggregate the areas.

Playing with the number of clusters and the buffer area will let you to different results. You can also think about rewriting the macro to try a totally different criteria to join the small areas.

I hope it helps

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

Labels