Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create multiple columns in multirow formula.

davidoc
7 - Meteor

Hi,  I have  a multi-row formula that I want to use for more than 1 column - I have  15 different cols that I need to use it on - is there any way that I can achieve without replicating the multi-row too?  I want to create 15 new columns based on each multi row formula.  Any help or pointers appreciated! Dave

3 REPLIES 3
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @davidoc 

The standard way to approach these types of problems is to add a RecordID and transpose the data so that your 15 columns become a pair of name/value columns.  Apply a single multirow tool to this column, sorting as required beforehand.  Once you have your new result column with the 15 new grouped values, apply a crosstab to this new column and join the results back to your original data set.

Dan

davidoc
7 - Meteor

HI Danitang,

I have used this approach in my workflow  but as I am using a multirow formula  eg creating a new col called criteria 1 Net  based upon:

IF [matchid] = [Row+1:matchid]
THEN ABS( [Sum_criteria1int] - [Row+1:Sum_criteria1int])
ELSE [Row-1:Crit1Net]
ENDIF

there are 15 net values using Criterianint  where n= 1to 15

I am not too sure if record id and transpoie would work well in this example as its multirow

Dave

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @davidoc 

The technique is proven and used frequently with multi-row tools.  Can you provide some sample data.  A few rows and several of the columns along with the details of the required calculations.  With this, we'll be able to put together a sample that you can extend to your complete dataset

Dan

Labels