Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create custom Connector for Salesforce

brendafos
10 - Fireball

With the previous version of Alteryx I had created custom Salesforce Input and Output connectors.  They stored the connection details and made my Salesforce work go faster.

Now I'm trying to do the same thing with the 2018.3 Designer.

I've downloaded the new versions of the Salesforce Input and Output from Gallery.  

And I've made a new directory to hold the new Output - and then I've hard coded the connection details into the GUI.HTML and fixed the paths to the parts. And I made a custom .png icon file.

SF Output.JPG

But the custom connector is not showing up in the Connectors  - what is different from the previous way this worked?

How can I make the custom connector who up in the tools?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@brendafos I'm not sure why the behavior is different from your last experience, but this article details the steps to 'install' a macro into a specific tool category https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Macro-Installation/ta-p/13032 can you let us know if adding the directory into your Macros settings and specifying Category: Connectors resolves your issue?

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
brendafos
10 - Fireball

I am aware how to make a standard macro show up in the toolbar - but in this case the Connectors are a collection of a macro, plus a xml, and html and a png file.  

Something has changed with the Connectors since the version 2018.3

I still need advice on how to make a custom Connector show up in the Connector tools.

CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@brendafos *edited for accuracy* You are right - there was a change in behavior with 2018.3. Only one version of the Salesforce Connector shows up in the tool palette by default at a time. We have created a defect tied to this behavior and we will create a case for you and tie it to the defect for notice once it is fixed. Until then, the workaround is to only have one Salesforce tool in the path, or to rename the tools in a way that allows a sort of 'versioning'. Keep reading for an example from @BlytheE.

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
brendafos
10 - Fireball

Ah, thanks for this information.

For now I can just take the one Salesforce Input and Output and hard code them with my Salesforce connection details - to the Production environment. 

But when it is possible, I would like to make sets of Salesforce connectors - for Sandbox and Production.

CailinS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Ah, I understand. The case should be live and linked by early next week, and then when the fix is released, you'll automatically be notified!

Cailin Swingle
Customer Experience
BlytheE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @brendafos - to get your custom connector to show up in the tool palette, you'll need to rename the SalesforceOutput_v1.3.0Config.xml to SalesforceOutput_v1.3.0 - PRODConfig.xml to match your folder name image.png

and then within that xml file, update the Name and RootToolName values to the new nameimage.pngand you should be able to see both tools in your tool palette now image.png

brendafos
10 - Fireball

I copied your example- but it still does not show up.

Are you on 2018.3?

Do I need to reboot for this to show up?

Cailin said that the 2018.3 does not work like the  2018.2 does.

I got this working in 2018.2

Thanks,

BlytheE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, I'm on 2018.3. You'll need to reboot Alteryx in order to see the change. Also, in my example, I used a dash and then realized you only have a space. So the folder name should match the config xml file name within the folder. If your folder name is SalesforceOutput_v1.3.0 Prod, the xml file should be named SalesforceOutput_v1.3.0 ProdConfig.xml. After you modify the xml file and save it, you'll have to restart Alteryx in order to see the changes. 

If you're still having trouble getting it to show up, can you attach the config xml file that you changed? And are you able to see Salesforce Output v1.3.0 in the tool palette? You can verify the version you're seeing by right clicking on the tool either in the palette or on the canvas and the 'Open Macro....' option should show v1.3.0 in the macro name.

brendafos
10 - Fireball

OK, I got this working.

I've made two custom versions of the Salesforce Input and Output connectors and I have them showing up in my tool bar.

THANK.  This saves me tons of time with all my salesforce data work.

Labels