Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create computed field with multiple IF's from separate table

munluva99
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am brand new to Alteryx and am trying to create a new field in the primary table [Table 1], which has all other information.  [Table 1] has all relevant information I need but has many different currencies. I need to create a formula so that I have one column with all the same currencies.  My currency [CUR] information sits in another data table [Table 2] and lists all the currencies and the exchange rate [XRATE] for each month.  

How do I create a field in [Table 1] that will look up the currency [CUR] AND period [PER] (i.e. month) from [Table 1] in [Table 2] to return two values from [Table 2] if the prior two conditions are met? The two values to be returned would help me to later create a formula to calculate the transaction amount in all USD.

Another note which makes this more complicated is that [Table 2] has a field which indicates whether I will need to either multiply or divide the [XRATE] to get the currency to USD. In a best case scenario, it would read the period/month and currency and calculate the transactional amount into USD in one action. 

Perhaps this is too complicated for a beginner but hoping Alteryx can provide quicker solutions for me.

4 REPLIES 4
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

This is how I would do it :)

munluva99
5 - Atom

Amazing! Thank you so much. I don't think I could have come up with this now (as a new user). 

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

It's just walking through the problem slowly, but I've done this sort of currency conversion a few times in different tools so I knew what to do quickly.

The first time is always the hardest, because you have to learn so much at the same time.

munluva99
5 - Atom

thanks so much for responding to this question. hoping that i get through this "new" phase and learn quickly. cannot thank you enough!!

Labels