Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create an app that pull report from a DB for people that do not have DB access

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Good morning, everyone!

This might be a dumb question but I've tried searching for tutorial and couldn't find anything that solve my problem. If you know about this please give me some instruction. I'm new to Alteryx so I would really appreciate detailed explanation and/or links to examples.

I'm trying to build an app that pull reports from a Teradata DB. I can access this DB using my credentials but the people I'm building this app for do not have that access. The goal is to upload this app to Gallery so that others can pull customized reports out using some input such as company ID and date range.

Is there a way I can make this happen? I'm looking at the In DB Input tool and Dynamic In DB Input tool. The database is quite big so it will help to be able to select what to use from the Input tool and not loading everything in the workflow then filter them out. (The selection should be dynamic based on user input)

If you know any source of instructions that I can read, please let me know too. 

Thank you so much!

5 REPLIES 5
Inactive User
Not applicable

Take the In-DB input tool(s). Then use a text input/drop down to filter the data on an ID/Value of some kind. Then stream out. In-DB puts everything on the DB Server and not the local machine. If you save the workflow up with your embedded credentials you are fine they will be able to run the workflow with your credentials; just make sure the DSNs are added to that server machine so it picks up your User DSN.

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the quick reply @Inactive User !

Can I do the same thing with the dynamic in DB input tool?

Inactive User
Not applicable

Yep build the query field using a formula tool and use the interface tools over that formula tool that makes the query to change parts of it such as filters or tables. Then put that through to the In-DB dynamic input.

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Inactive User ,

I have finished the workflow and it ran fine on my computer. However when I upload it to Gallery, there's an error saying it cannot find the connection. I have attached an image of the query and the workflow here. It would be great if you can help me figure out how I can connect to this DB.

Inactive User
Not applicable
You need the same named DSN as a System DSN on the server machine (ODBC/OLEDB) and it will find the connection then. Naming convention has to be the same.

[cid:image006.png@01D191B3.EBC5FE50]
Ryan Lambert | Principal Consultant

t: 1800 737 126
t: 02 9260 0700
m: +61 434 245 120
e: ryan.lambert@mip.com.au
Level 24 St. Martin's Tower
31 Market Street
Sydney NSW 2000
w: www.mip.com.au

[Email Signature - MAR2019 (2)]
Labels