Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Create an API connection to original data sources

hyperspacetravel
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Alteryx, so still finding my way around on the tool. See below attached Workflow. I would like to create an API connection to the original data sources (see links below) to ensure latest data is used in the workflow instead of using csv files.

Could some one please suggest the right way to go about it or point me to literature that would be useful for a beginner in this case.

Links to original data source:

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hyperspacetravel 

Here's an example workflow that pulls the data for the first link.

DavidP_0-1643201310239.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

In order to download the data for the 2nd source, you have to change the URL in the Text Input tool and also change the 2nd Text to Columns tool to parse 18 columns.

The Download tool essentially downloads the entire dataset into a single string that you then parse to rows and columns. You may run into trouble due to the size of the dataset, since the 2nd dataset has 1.2M rows and 18 columns  - although I tried it and it seems to work ok.

You can play around with the options in the Download tool. For instance, you can choose to download the data to a temporary file and then use a Dynamic input tool to load the data from that file. This saves you from having to parse the rows and columns.

Labels