Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create a macro to update input from output

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Hello Community,

I am trying to create a workflow that will loop through making updates to inputs based on outputs within the workflow.  I have attached the starting point of the workflow that I know will have to be turned into a macro.  It currently is using Text Inputs for all data but will be a normal Input from Excel once completed and more data is added.

The concept is to take the starting data, combine information together, that will produce outputs.  There are three outputs

• Visit Information
  • Updated Status
  • Updated Next Due

The Text Inputs for Status and Next Due comprise current information that would change after each iteration.  The Updated Status output information would replace the information in the incoming Status Text Input and the Updated Next Due would replace the information in the incoming Next Due Text Input.  Visit Information would be appended after each iteration.

I would want to loop through this a few times and could probably simply copy and past what I have done further along in the workflow, but know it would be more efficient looping through a macro but I'm not really clear on how to do it.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Thanks so much in advance.

Neil

2 REPLIES 2
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @NeilFisk 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I think some additional information will be needed to make this work.

The supplied workflow is using text input, but you said this will use excel books when live. Can you supply some sample data in excel format?

Your sample has 5 input data tools, is that how the data will be read in? Or, is the data all coming from a single document?

This will help to determine how to build the macro.

Thanks!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Hi Trevor,

I was able to figure this out.  It requires two macros.  The first is a macro it iterate the number of times I want to iterate, the second is to house what needed to be iterated on (i.e., the Input files that ultimately get updated with Outputs).  The issue I was having was trying to do it all in one iterative macro.

Thanks,

Neil

Labels