Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create a blank when a file doesn't exist

RobertBob
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to gather data from a timed job. There are 5 machines that can spit data out. The bit that Alteryx doesn't seem to like is when one of the machines does not have a file to output. At that point the whole thing comes to a halt and fails. Is there a way to have Alteryx use the file produced if there is one or a dummy file if there isn't? Another option would be for Alteryx to check for the file and skip it if there isn't one. 

5 REPLIES 5
50ld13r
7 - Meteor

HI,

I may be misunderstanding this but I would use the directory tool to identify the files, potentially have a dummy in the locations if needed, then use a dynamic input to read the files as required.

hope that helps

RobertBob
6 - Meteoroid

Very good answer and I think it will be the right one. I am unsure how exactly to use it. I have played around a bit but am not quite there yet. 

RobertBob
6 - Meteoroid

I found a Youtube video that explained it. Than you! That is exactly the answer I needed!

50ld13r
7 - Meteor

Great stuff. I always forget about the directory tool.  :)

memphis_data
5 - Atom

Do you have the link to the youtube video?

Labels