community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Create a Unique Identifier

Asteroid

I am trying to create a unique identifier by combining the first letter of First Name and the entire Last Name so I can do some comparisons with different files with a unique ID. See below example. 

Input 

First NameLast Name
DavidWarner 
Ricky Ponting
AndrewFlintoff 

Output (took first letter of first name and entire last name)

Unique ID
DWarner 
RPonting
AFlintoff
Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @mustufa2019 

The below expression should output what you're looking for.

LEFT([First Name], 1) + [Last Name]

Bolide

Hi @mustufa2019,

Formula Tool - Add Column Unique ID (as WString or V_W String).  formula:   Left([First Name],1) + [Last Name]

Nebula
Nebula

Hi @mustufa2019 

Both @T_Willins' and @jrgo's solutions are good, but you might want to re-think how you're defining the ID.  In your specific case, what if Danielle Warner and Robert Ponting join the list.  A better key in this case would be to concatenate the entire first and names. 

Another point to consider is nicknames.  If Drew Flintoff joins, is this the same person as Andrew Flintoff?  To handle these cases you might want to consider normalizing the first names using a nickname list like

Formal NameNickname
DavidDave
DavidDavey
RichardRick
RichardRicky
AndrewAndy
AndrewDrew

Replace the nick name in your input with the formal name

In any case because of the enormous duplication in first and last names, i.e. Ahmad Khan, John Jones, Wang Zhang Wei, basing an unique ID on someone's name leads to an enormous effort to weed out false positive and negative matches.  Try to include another metric(age, address, etc) if you have it.

Dan(Danny, Daniel)

Labels