Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create a Macro to Filter by Field Values

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Hi Everyone,

I decided to step into Marcos.  I ran into a roadblock.  I watched a few videos on the subject and I am running into Issues.  It appears as though the videos I have been watching involve using FIELDS to filter data rather than VALUES within one FIELD.  I need to filter and use a macro where all of the parameters/filters are in one field.  Here is my scenario.  I have made a lot of reports that are used department wide.  Each Manager will print out the report for their supervisors.  Now the supervisors would like to print out the reports for their individual officers.  I am trying to make a macro where the Supervisor picks a name (officer) from from the input tool and the report filters to only show that officers information.  I need some help with this macro.   It seems so simple but I am stuck.

Summary:

Develop a macro for user input to select a specific person

Filter all data in report on that person

john

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JohnMaty I mocked up a worklow that should help you. Essentially I use a dropdown Interface in order to produce a list of officers and filter on. Let me know what you think? 

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Thanks! Alteryx Partners are always rockstars in the community.

So please correct me if I am wrong here. 

1.  The text input in the workflow would represent my enormous workflow that creates the report?

2. Macro_Officer_Names.yxdb represents the names of all of the officers in the dropdown that would be available to run the reports against. 

3.  So if I wanted to make a list from my SQL DB I would go into the macro change the INPUT to a file input and configure it to my table?

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JohnMaty 1. Yes text input would represent your workflow. 2. Yes that is correct. 3. With the current set up you wouldn't need to do this as the macro Input would be fed by your workflow and would create that YXDB based upon your worklow. However in the dropdown with your external source you could connect it directly to your SQL DB. You would need a list of officers in two columns called "NAME" and "Value" for that to work. 

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

Thanks again!  I usually don't give up on a workflow but time was precious on this one.  Thanks again for the quick help!  I will add this tool to my holster.

Cheers!

Labels