Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Check out our powerful new search update! You can read more here. Please let us know if you have any feedback by creating a topic here.

Create Timeout Error

Highlighted
Bolide

Can I somehow get a workflow to error out if it takes too long to run?

Long story is that I recently goofed on something and effectively squared my data (no kidding), which resulted in the workflow taking FOREVER and ultimately ending by crashing my computer because it used up all the resources. #iknowhowtobreakAlteryx

So given that I have a pretty good idea how long the workflow SHOULD take, I'd like to just stop the insanity if it runs too long.

Any ideas?

---

As a side discussion, I'm also open to other/better ideas that you wizards have for implementing data integrity checks... tossing it out there for brainstorming. I've added tools that summarize any unjoined records, email them to me, and then I maintain a table of the ones I know are OK. Also thought about guesstimating record count before and after certain tools, and if there's a certain percent change I would get a message. Certainly open to outside the box thoughts.

@thizviz
Highlighted
Alteryx Partner
Alteryx Partner

I like your Runtime idea, do you have Alteryx server? There is a configuration setting to limit the maximum runtime, but this is a limit for all workflows not just one.

There is an error message tool in the interface tools that will terminate the workflow but you will be required to turn it into a macro or app to make it work. I am working on designing a macro now to that will accomplish this and I will publish it here when I have something working.

Bolide

Unfortunately I don't have Server. Even if I did, though, I think it would be helpful for desktop and server users alike to be able to set the timeout per workflow rather than globally. Unless I'm the only one who makes these crazy goofs and tries to crash the program LOL!

@thizviz
Labels