Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Create Mail with Text and chart

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, I'm looking for a solution to create an email with text and chart, If I use a formula tool to create the body of the email, Alteryx cannot convert HTML code of the chart attached. Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Istwineres 

It sounds like you wrote the content of your email in a Formula tool and set that field as the "Body" field in the Email tool? That's not how that tool is designed to work. You'll notice that the Email tool is in the Reporting category, so other Reporting tools must be used to create that body field. The Reporting tools create layouts that use HTML formatting, which is why the error mentioned that. 

In you case, use the Report Text tool to create a Layout field of the text content you'd like to send. You can also add images and a chart with the Image and Interactive Chart tools. Once you have the items created, Join the elements together and use a Layout tool to create a reporting layout that will be your email body. 

I've attached an example with notes on how this works in Designer. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. 

Istwineres
8 - Asteroid

Many thanks for your answer it was much easier than I thought, I was wondering if the tool Interactive chart can, for each record, highlight the dot in the scatter plot and then change the color

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Apologies for the delayed reply here. 

The interactive nature of the Interactive chart tool isn't supported in all formats. For example, if it is output to the Alteryx Gallery it has full support, but when it is rendered to the pdf, it's a static image. That being said, we can still produce a chart that highlights the appropriate records for each recipient. This means we'll need to produce a new chart for each email.

In the updated example, I use a sample data set that has visits and transactions by store and create an email for each store that highlights their records. If we wanted separate charts for each group, the Interactive tool has batch functionality for that, but a chart that has all records each time with different highlighting will require a batch macro. 

Check out the attached workflow+batch macro and let me know if you have any questions. 

Labels