Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Counting the Occurrence of Items Frequently Found Together Within a Group

WJdata
5 - Atom

Hi guys, I am trying to identify and count the occurrence of products that are commonly bought together. You could think of these products as complementary goods, like a cell phone and a cell phone case.

This data set contains over 1,000 products, and I am interested to see which products tend to be purchased with one another. Orders can range in size from 1 item to 20 items. The goal is to find the pairs of products that commonly occur in customer orders and identify the top 25% of pairs by frequency.

My first step is to group by order number to see which products (SKUs) are purchased in a set. Where I could use some help is to find the common pairs of complementary goods within each order.

I attached the data set if you want to give it a look. I would love any guidance you could provide or any insight into ways to solve this challenge.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @WJdata ,

I'm attaching a solution where I'm using a join + a filter tool to create all possible combinations of 2 itens from the same order.

fmvizcaino_0-1587751922266.png

Take a look and let me know if you need further assistance.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

WJdata
5 - Atom

This is perfect ! What an ingenious way to think about it, thank you! 

If I wanted to continue the analysis with say 3, 4, 5...+ products would I continue the pattern by adding a SKU ID 3, SKU ID 4, SKU ID 5, then adding more filter tools until all 5 > and < scenarios are accounted for?

Thanks!

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes! For each join added, you need to create one additional condition in your filter.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

ynilabh
5 - Atom

Hi Please help me on this tool , I need to create 3 combinations but unable to do so

ynilabh
5 - Atom

Ho to create a new join for 3 ,4,5 combinations ,please help

Labels