Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Count the non-null values across multiple columns?

himaniyadav
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I would like to count the number of non-null values in each row across multiple groups of multiple columns. Basically, for example, my data set might look something like this:

Name          Q1               Q2            Q3             A1          A2         

John D.       10.2             2.5             31            12           null

Jane Y.        null             10.5          null            45.5        12.2               

Jack A.        5                  7.5           12             null          null

Jill R.           7                 null            7              2.5          10 

And I would like to obtain something maybe like this:

Name          Q1               Q2            Q3             A1          A2         QCount         ACount

John D.       10.2             2.5             31            12           null             3               1

Jane Y.        null             10.5          null            45.5        12.2            1                2   

Jack A.        5                  7.5           12             null          null             3                0

Jill R.           7                 null            7              2.5          10                2                2

I am still pretty new to Alteryx so I'm not sure where to begin (summarize, formulas?). Any help at all would be much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @himaniyadav 

In these situations you should start by transposing the data and counting the values, it makes working with the data much easier.

I have attached an example

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@himaniyadav 

Transposing the data will be step one and then you could take number of paths. This is one of the options

count-non-null.png

himaniyadav
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you both. In reality my dataset is a lot more complicated but these examples were a very helpful starting point.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

The attached workflow gives the correct result for your sample data.  The heavy lifting is done by Transpose and Crosstab.

To maintain the correct field ordering, I used the Field Info tool then the Dynamic Rename after the Crosstab.

Here's a related post, about re-ordering columns after a Crosstab: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-order-columns-by-any-given-line...

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Chris

Labels