Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Count rows in a Table, Count special characters

Preet2020
7 - Meteor

I have two questions:

One - I have multiple Input tables in a workflow, and i want to know the number of rows and columns in each table. I can get this info by going to the result of each table but it is very cumbersome to open each tablefor the Row and column count. Is there an easier way to get count of rows and columns by defining a query?

Two - How do i get count of rows in a field which has hyphen or any other special characters?

5 REPLIES 5
Blake
12 - Quasar

Hi @Preet2020 Check out the attached workflow and let me know if it works for you. I gave two options on the first question, depending on how you want to handle your data.

Blake_0-1589980492991.png

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @Preet2020 

Kindly provide a sample file.

In the meantime:

1. To get row count

You can use Count Records Tool or Record ID Tool + Running Total Tool or  Summarize Tool or (this is Alteryx! there are many options/ approaches)

2. To get conditional row count

Regex on the condition or Filter Tool calc on the condition or Formula Tool calc on the condition or Multified on the condition or Multi-row on the condition (again, many options/ approaches).

And then perform step 1 on the rows that satisfy the condition

Please note that your conditional approach can be negative. For example, depending on the target, If Contains or If NOT Contains (!Contains)

Good Luck!

Preet2020
7 - Meteor

Thank you, the solution for the 1st question works but it is lengthier considering the number of tables i have in the workflow. i was looking for a more easier solution to handle this requirement. 

Blake
12 - Quasar

@Preet2020  - Here is a macro that accomplishes what you want for step 1. 

Blake_0-1589983407234.png

Thanks, let me know if this works for you.

Preet2020
7 - Meteor

Thank you. Solution works

Labels