Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Count number of rows for all files in folder

joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

Hey,

I need to build a solution to check when every report was generated in a folder and how many rows are in each. 

There are many different reports in the folder generated on a regular basis . I am able to use Directory tool to see in one go when they were generated but I am not sure how to check number of rows in the similar way.

Thank you in advance,

Asia

6 REPLIES 6
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@joannasokolowska one of the option I'm thinking is use the batch macro given below and use Count records tool to count the row number from each report 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t...

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@joannasokolowska 

I think using the Directory Tool is a good choice.

But first of all, what is the format of these reports, as Excel?

If you could provide a few sample files, we will be happy to assist. 😁

joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

Hey! I created a batch macro for that and it works! thanks! 

joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

I have only CSV files  and directory tool is not enough since there is no information about number of rows. I created a batch macro and it works :) 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Amazing solution @binuacs 🙂 the idea of coupling the batch macro and row count tool together.

Exciting to hear you were able to solve it for csv file also @joannasokolowska 😀

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @joannasokolowska 

Just to add to the above solution if you have files of different formats in the same folder you want to row count of all them you can refer to this weekly challenge where they handle multiple file formats in a single batch macro.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-180-Thousand-File-Challenge/td-p/461356

Hope this helps : )

Labels