Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Count Across Multiple Columns in a single row

Ankitdaim
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to do a count in the below data. Basically I want to calculate to how many companies among the 5 companies in the table below is Microsoft supplying to. So based on the table below the answer is 3. Like this I have around 78K suppliers for whom I am trying to do this. So in the end I want to have new columns called "# suppliers" which counts the number of companies each supplier is supplying to. 

I have tried to use the formula tool to do a count but it is not working. I have also tried to do a transpose to turn the companies into rows and then do a count by summarize tool but that also is not working.

Would really appreciate any assistance on this. 

Supplier NameCompany ACompany BCompany CCompany DCompany E
Microsoft003021
Apple213003
Amazon122201
4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @Ankitdaim ; I've attached a working example for you which uses the summerize tool.

In future, if you have tried a solution and it doesn't work, make sure you post this too so we can understand what you have tried and give you some guidance, rather than us providing you with the solution directly. The reason for this would be 2-fold, firstly it will help you learn, and secondly it prevents us encountering the issues you have hit.

2019-03-13_08-28-01.png

Ben

Ankitdaim
5 - Atom

Thanks @benMoss for the quick response.

I understand what you are saying with regards to posting the solution i have tried, will do that in future. 

Ankit

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@Ankitdaim no problem at all! Please, if the post bought you to a solution, can you mark this as such. Articles which are marked as a solution are likely to get far more views from people searching and trying to resolve a problem than those that do not.

Ben

Ankitdaim
5 - Atom

Done

Labels