Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Copying values to a new column from existing column with values in certain cells

jf97hernandez
7 - Meteor

Dear all,

I am trying to copy values from one column into another one. The problem is that the values in the original column are in selected cells, instead than in every single cell. I want to apply all of these values into a new column for each item.

Something Like this:

LetterOriginal ColumnNew column
A11
B 1
C11
D 1
E11
F11
G 1
H11
I11

I have already added the formula to add the new column, and tried an IF ISEMPTY formula to no avail.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Best,

Juan

8 REPLIES 8
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Is it the same value down the entire column? If so you can just hard code that value in your formula where you create a new field and set the value. Is there something special that you need to do with the empty cells? If so I am thinking something like this:

Formula tool to create new field with this formula

If IsEmpty([Original Column]) or IsNull([Original Column])

THEN 1

ELSE [Original Column]

ENDIF

Buzz
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

you could also add 

OR [Original Column]=""

to the statement from @BrandonB , couldn't you?

Buzz 

jf97hernandez
7 - Meteor

Thank you Bandon for your response.

The problem is that I cannot Hardcode the value as it changes depending on certain parameters in my workflow.  For example, my workflow standardizes a report from a website in which everything is one-to-one always aside from a few parameters (values column). Please see the following table:

Letter (always the same)Values (changes every time)New column
A11
B 1
C11
D 1
E11
F11
G 1
H11
I11

The values for column B are these:

Values that can be used

Thus, what I want is that when I run the workflow, the "New Column" will have the values from column B in every row.

I do not know if this makes sense, but I appreciate your response!

Thank you again for your time and assistance.

Juan

jf97hernandez
7 - Meteor

Or an easier way to put it, I want whichever string that is in the values column applied to every row of the New Column.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jf97hernandez 
By "whichever string that is in the values column", are they same value? like all '1' or all '2'?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jf97hernandez 
Parepared 2 case for you. Check if this is what you need.

1211-jf97hernandez.PNG

jf97hernandez
7 - Meteor

It worked!

Thanks you!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jf97hernandez 

You are welcome and thank you for the accept mark!

Labels