Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Copy and Paste on specific cell in excel using Alteryx

Lalit_c
5 - Atom

Dear Community,

Can you help me how to copy paste data from one excel to another using excel.

Data need to be copy and pasted in specific cells of the output excel.

Input
MetricValue
Amount10
Account20
Amount-3MOB5
Account-3MOB9

Output   
MetricJan-20Feb-20Mar-20
Amount  10
Account 20 
Amount-3MOB5  
Account-3MOB9  

Please help me in resolving the above.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Lalit_c ,

Can you please explain what you are trying to do in Alteryx?

It looks like you're trying to pivot the data but you don't have the dates associated to the data which would make the headers.

M.

Bulien

Lalit_c
5 - Atom

Hi,

As you can see in the input and output tables (which I have pasted in the original query).

I need to copy the data from excel from specific cell and paste that in another excel in specific cell.

Its not related to pivot.

Generally we pasted from one column of one excel to another column of another excel, but here what i am trying to do is to copy data from for eg : (B3, B4, B5, B6 are cell references of input excel and J3, J4, I5, H6  are cell references of output excel) and paste that in another excel.

From B3 to J3

From B4 to J4

From B5 to I5

From B6 to H6

Hope it clarifies the problem.

From B7 to G7

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Lalit_c ,

ok, this is definitely a pivot as it would make it dynamic. This is not Excel, thankfully, where everything is manual copy and paste. When I say pivot, I mean the true pivot, which is to rotate the data around a point.

You don't have the dates listed so you need manually create them.

In this example I simply created the dates as a separate text input and joined them to the associated records:

mceleavey_1-1625495865552.png

I then cross-tabbed the data into the correct format:

mceleavey_0-1625495829143.png

mceleavey_2-1625495880697.png

Workflow attached.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Dr_Strange
5 - Atom

Hi Mceleavey,

Thanks for the help, but it does not solve the purpose.

The problem is not just copy pasting the values and the cell reference is also not fixed.

For every month the cell referencing gets updated and we need to copy paste in new column.

Below is the problem:

Input:

• On a monthly basis we create a regulatory report which have multiple metrics in the same.
  • There is a standard template for the report.
  • And we get the data(input) in form of excel sheet with 2 columns: 1)Metric name 2)Metric value.
  • Attached dummy input template for reference.

Calculation:

• We need to copy paste the values(from input file to the template) in the new column for every new month.

Challenge:

• For every month a new column should get inserted , and there are certain metric which refer to previous months data.
  • For example

We have the input data for July month as:

Total Outstanding

Open Accounts

3MOB

6MOB

• The data can go from 3MOB to 36 MOB( i.e. needs to be pasted 36 months prior). 

Output:

The output file is a report template that needs to be filled.

So without changing the format of the template can we paste the values from input excel to the template through alteryx.

Dummy template attached for reference. Template.PNG

hfibrahim
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

did you find the solution for this. if yes can you please help me with the workflow. thank you!

Labels