Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Copy/Paste within same workflow takes a long time

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

Hi,

This has been happening with all my larger WFs that take a long time to run.  It seems like when I copy a comment or connector in a WF and paste it into the same WF Alteryx seems like it is validating the entire WF before pasting and it appears like Alteryx is actually crashing(Not Responding).  This obviously happens when I also try copying from a different WF and pasting it into the larger WF.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?  Some of these take ~1 hour to run so waiting for pasting is very unproductive.

EDIT:  This also occurs when I add a container and then disable it.

TIA

16 REPLIES 16
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @BonusCup 

Try disabling auto configure:

Luke_C_0-1669916159708.png

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @BonusCup,

This is occurring because the metadata is also being updated on the back end. I would recommend disabling this auto-update by following the steps below. 

Click Options (top left) --> User Settings --> Edit user settings --> Advanced tab --> Disable Auto Configure.

Hope this helps, if it does please like this post and mark it as a solution. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@PanPP  and @Luke_C I checked the box for 'Disable Auto Configure' and restarted Designer to test but it seems to be doing the same thing, (Not Responding).  I also added the below to the original post.

EDIT:  This also occurs when I add a container and then disable it.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you able to cache any of the other inputs that you are not copying or certain parts of the workflow that you are not copying? There can be many variables that can cause this issue. 

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@PanPP sorry, I don't quite understand.  I am able to right click and cache and run the workflow on other connectors if that is what you are asking.  When I just tried again before my last reply I was just copying a comment box from a different workflow into the one that takes a while to run.  It is still locked up.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@BonusCup  I would right-click some of the inputs that you have in the workflow and cache and run the workflow so that metadata gets cached. I would recommend doing this for many of the tools that are already set and don't need to be run.

After you cache the workflow, are you able to copy and paste? 

Does the same issue occur if you right-click the workflow name, duplicate the workflow and start copying and pasting tools in the newly created workflow? 

Hope this helps.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@PanPP I will try the first part of your reply but as for testing this after duplicating the workflow, I closed and restarted Designer, opened the workflow, duplicated it, copied a Comment from the original WF and when I pasted it into the duplicate Designer locked up again.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@PanPP sorry for the delay but I was pulled into some other things.  I finally had some time to test this and after right-clicking and caching and running the WF I'm still having the same issue with Alteryx (Not Responding) after copying and pasting.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

I was on version 2022.1.1.30961 so I uninstalled and upgraded to v2022.1.1.42590, restarted Amazon Workspace, checked to make sure 'Disable Auto Config' was still checked and I'm still having the same issues.

Labels