Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Copy Files Workflow

KagenB
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

I am attempting to build a workflow that will copy files from one location to another on a daily basis. I have built the below simple workflow and it seems to work fine in copying file names but not the actual file themselves. When I open the output file the only contents are the file name itself. Any thoughts on refining this workflow would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

KagenB_0-1616003084245.png

14 REPLIES 14
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @KagenB ,

I suggest you to use this excelent tool developed by @bobpeers .

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/File-Copying-and-Moving/td-p/592216

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

KagenB
6 - Meteoroid

This is great! Wow I didn't even know this existed. Thank you so much!

KagenB
6 - Meteoroid

I seem to be struggling to configure the output source correctly - any tips?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @KagenB ,

You only need to pass the full path+file+extension to both source and destination file path.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

bobpeers
9 - Comet

The source should be the full path to the file to move or copy. If you specify a destination as a directory without a filename the files will be moved/copied their using their original file names.

If the destination is a full path (directory and filename) then the files will be moved/coped and renamed to the new name you provide.

Hope that helps!

KagenB
6 - Meteoroid

I'm sorry for the continued questions - I'm not sure why I'm struggling so much here. 

I'm using a directory tool to specify where I'd like to pull files from

KagenB_0-1616077002628.png

I've selected "FullPath" in the source file paths as I want to be able to pull all files data from this folder and copy it

KagenB_1-1616077063030.png

But I'm hitting a mental block on what tool to use / how to best specify where I want the files to be copied to.

Sorry again for the continued questions - I appreciate your help!

KagenB
6 - Meteoroid

KagenB_0-1616077938616.png

bobpeers
9 - Comet

No problem 🙂

Use the directory tool to specify the full path of the source files just as you have done.

The destination is up to you but the easiest way it to use a formula tool and make a column called destination with the path (or path + name) of where you want the files to go. Then map this is the destination.

Of course you could build the destination column in lots of ways, there just needs to be at least two columns, one for the file source and one for the destination.

KagenB
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much! I was just thinking about the formula tool backwards. I really appreciate the help.

Have a great day!

Labels