Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Convex hull

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi there,

I am new to Alteryx. I am trying to show the location of our stores and our customers on the same map page. And then, draw the trade area polygon with 70% percentile. 

I used "Create Point", "trade Area", and "Poly-Built" function.  Is there any other function that I should use? How can I take the 70% percentile withe polygon-built function (convex hull under it)? 

Thanks. 

Amy

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

@Amy18

How about calculating the distance to each customer, taking the 70% closest to the location, and building the convex hull from those customer records?

Highlighted
Asteroid

If Alteryx can not do that, I can do the calculation before importing to Alteryx. Is that what you mean? 

Alteryx can definitely handle this for you. Let me know if you have any questions about the solution below.

- Use the Create Points tool to create spatial points for the store and all associated customers.

- Append the store point to all customer points and use a Distance tool to calculate the distance from the store to each customer.

- Use a Sort tool to sort by this distance.

- Filter records to the first 70% (shown in attached solution).

- Use the resulting customer points to create a convex hull with the Poly-Build tool. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thank you! 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the workflow. It is very nice. 

If I have multiple stores and each store has its own customers. It is an one to many relationship. In my customers table, you can find its store name. 

Is there any way to show this kind of relationship through the workflow? 

Thank you so much! 

Amy

Highlighted

Happy to help.

You could also input the customer records into the Map tool to show the dots that would be captured within the polygon. Or count the number of records that each store has and use it as a label on that store icon on the map. Would those work or is there something else you had in mind?

Labels