Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting text to usable date format?

drewh
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

Hopefully a pretty easy solution is available for my newbie self - I have some timestamps that came in this format:

Fri Aug 03 2018 00:11:21 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

This isn't registering well in tableau, and I need to be able to segment out the Date, the Time, and the day of week (which I think can be done via the datetimeformat formula, just can't get to that step)

I'm on Alteryx 11.0. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the sample workflow for your case. Hope this is helpful. There are many ways one can achieve this result.  If you are stuck anywhere, just share the sample data of different combination of timestamp you have. will help you with the workflow. 

WorkflowWorkflowResultsResultsDate and Time tool to convert string to dateDate and Time tool to convert string to dateDate and time tool to covert date time to dayDate and time tool to covert date time to day

drewh
7 - Meteor

Hi ponraj thanks for the speedy response - I'm on Alteryx 11.0 and can't open the workflow attached, any chance you can re-upload? Thank you!!

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Another solution would be to use RegEx to parse your time stamp, this one should do the work 

([[:alpha:]]+)(?:\s)([[:alpha:]]+)(?:\s)(\d{2})(?:\s)(\d{4})(?:\s)(\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2})

and then you can use either regular formulas to get the data as you want.

Labels