Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting first row of data into column(Field) names

mjh418
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

The source file that I use for the workflow has column(field) names that are NOT fixed and may change depending on what the user is trying to extract. 

Because I don't want to hard code these and the user can't manually change the source file, I intentionally import it in a way that the field names become first line of DATA and the Field names are automatically populated as F1, F2, ... and so on (Please see below). This way I can manipulate the first line of data into a workable fixed field name by putting through some conditions first. 

My question is after I have dynamically renamed the first row of data into desired column/field names, how do i move (replace those F1,F2s) those into actual column names? If you can attach example/workflow, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please see below for example.

F1F2F3F4
FieldName1Fieldname2Fieldname3Fieldname4

Desired Outcome:

FieldName1Fieldname2Fieldname3Fieldname4
xxxxxxxx

Thank you so much for your time. 

3 REPLIES 3
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mjh418 

This can be easily done using dynamic rename tool and option take field name from first row.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1626258204816.png

Hope this helps : )

mjh418
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 wow thank you so much!

Sorry if I may bother you one more time, before all this, how can i take ONLY the FIRST ROW(to be fields) and turn that row into a single column?

[Field name]
Fieldname1
Fieldname2
Fieldname3
Fieldname4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @mjh418 

You can configure dynamic rename tool to "Take Fields from first row" refer the yellow highlighted in the image. This will take the first row as column names.

Labels