Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting and filtering dates

rohini
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a column in my dataset where the dates are in two formats 21/05/2018 and the other in 2019-12-03.

when I try to convert the dates to YYYY-MM-DD format this is showing error message can some one please help me on this and also I have to 

8 REPLIES 8
GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

Hi Rohini

As always multipe ways you can sort this. Here is one

User a filter t split the stream, then use to DateTime tools to convert to a single type and re-union. 

date.PNG

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @rohini ,

if you use a conditional statement, it should work.

If [Field1] is the field containing the dates, formula for a new field of type "Date" would be:

IF Contains("/", [Field1]) THEN
DateTimeParse([Field1],"%d/%m/%Y")
ELSE
DateTimeParse([Field1],"%Y-%m-%d")
ENDIF

Best regards

Roland

TSP
8 - Asteroid

Hi @rohini 

If there are only those two presentations of dates, you could filter your field based on whether it contains a /.

Those that do you could then convert to your desired format using the DateTime function.

See this attached workflow which should help.

Regards,

Tim

2019-09-26.PNG

rohini
8 - Asteroid

Hi Ronald,

thank you for this but this is converting 21/08/2019 to 2021-08-20 but it should be 2019-08-21, can you please let me know where am I going wrong

TSP
8 - Asteroid

@GavinAttard 

In the second of those DateTime functions, change the - to /

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Should be:

IF Contains([Field1], "/") THEN
DateTimeParse([Field1], "%d/%m/%Y")
ELSE
DateTimeParse([Field1], "%Y/%m/%d")
ENDIF

rohini
8 - Asteroid

I used  the workflow, that is filtering the date with / and converting the same but the Union is not getting the dates accordingly.

For Eg. if the dataset has the date as 20/08/2019, when I convert that is getting converted in to 2019-08-20 but the dataset that has the date format as 2018-10-05 is not getting up dated in the new column if I rename the union to the new column name.

Please help.

Thank you.

TSP
8 - Asteroid

Hi @rohini , could you post your workflow, I'll take a look at what needs changing. Alternatively if you compare it to the workflow that I posted you might be able to see for yourself what needs changing.

Regards,

Tim

Labels