Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting Rows into Columns

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Afternoon All,

I have been able to read in via OCR from the excellent PDF Reader tools some data which i have been able to convert to rows, but now I am a bit stuck. My data looks like this:

ACME Company
Stock Count
Count Volume Cost
Soft Toys			
Big Blue Box 3 28 10
Red Box	10 58 94
Books			
Big Blue Box 9 76 6
Red Box	8 38 12
Undefined			
Yellow Box 12 79 53
End of stock count

But what i actually want is 

CountVolumeCost
Soft Toys   
Big Blue Box32810
Red Box105894
Books   
Big Blue Box9766
Red Box83812
Undefined   
Yellow Box127953

Handily the words stay the same, but struggling with separating. What's the best way to go about this? I did imagine having many loops for each line which seems a bit excessive, Any thoughts?

Thank you 

6 REPLIES 6
vsoni
Alteryx
Alteryx

regex will help here, as you can parse out the numbers that are followed by a space.

the attached should help you get started.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Bobbins 

Here's an example of how you could approach this using regex to help parse. Others might have a more elegant answer but this should get you in the right direction

Luke_C_0-1634215278450.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bobbins 

Here is my take similar to above but slightly different.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1634216752028.png

Hope this helps : )

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Thank you all, I am just trying to fiddle this into my real life data (I forgot in the example to include a , in a number!) but this is giving me a good reason to fiddle with the Regex feature

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Bobbins 

Here is a helpful resource on Regex.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-RegEx/ta-p/37689

Hope this helps : )

Bobbins
8 - Asteroid

Thank you all, they all work but I have selected the last one as a solution because I am finding that Regex is not something you can just copy and paste and hence trying to make you learn it is better then not!

Labels