Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert string with commas and decimals to number

jenner85
8 - Asteroid

Hi - what is the best way to convert these from string to numbers. I have tried and it keeps returning just the numbers before the comma. I can't remove all punctuation because I also want to keep the decimal place. thanks! 

19,905 386,716.32

8 REPLIES 8
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jenner85 ,

I like replace_char([field],",",'')

you could put a list of vale's in there as ",$%#+()"

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jenner85
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, that worked. I also have numbers that are like this:

874.19-

How would I make that into a negative number? I am thinking an if formula, but not sure how to tell Alteryx to add - to the beginning of the number and remove it from the end. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jenner85 

If right([field],1) = "-" Then 

- tonumber(replace_char([field],",-"))

else

tonumber(replace_char([field],","))

Endif

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
StefanvanWyk
7 - Meteor

Good and easy solution. Thank you.

Susan_Riggins
5 - Atom

Is there any way to use this in a data cleansing tool?  In my case there are about 200 numbers coming in from Excel with commas and decimals being interpreted as strings.  Doing a replace 200 times and creating a manual cleansed version of every field is going to be incredibly tedious.  I see that you can remove punctuation but that seems to remove the decimal with the comma.  The problem is that when I convert these to Float with the Select tool, it stops reading after the comma.

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

A Multi-Field Formula would be your next step.

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

If you'd like a more dynamic solution, the attached workflow Transposes the columns to rows, Fomula runs on the selected columns [now rows], then puts them all back together again. You could turn this into a macro to create a conversion tool.

YaGurlKate
Alteryx
Alteryx

A very simple way to do this is to place a formula tool and write the function tonumber([column_name]) and then place a select tool immediately after and select one of the numeric data types like double or fixed decimal for that column. 

Labels