Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Convert string to number

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Hello team.,

I have some numbers with percentage symbol in string format which is to be converted in number format for calculations.In the output excel file I need to right click on that column everytime to convert into number which I dont have to do.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Morgan_Thomas
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

You could try something like this. I've removed the % here using a formula and then I'm able to set the field type as 'double' in the select tool. 

Thanks,

Morgan

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Polite123 

Here's a quick example of a way you could do this. Do you have any sample data? That might help give a better option if this doesn't work.

Luke_C_0-1617639517680.png

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C  & @Morgan_Thomas ,

I need % symbol as well in the output file and in number format.

Is it possible?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Polite123,

Unfortunately, it isn't possible. In Alteryx number must be a number. It will not contain a percentage sign.

For this, there is no workaround. 

StockMarket
8 - Asteroid

How about creating a DUPLICATE COLUMN first.

That way you can keep one value in Number Format and another value would have the % symbol as well.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Polite123 

Like others have said this isn't fully possible in alteryx, but you should look into the "keep formatting" option for excel outputs. If you output to a range in a template file and have this column formatted as a percentage it should work.

Labels