Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Convert string to number

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Hello team.,

I have some numbers with percentage symbol in string format which is to be converted in number format for calculations.In the output excel file I need to right click on that column everytime to convert into number which I dont have to do.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Morgan_Thomas
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

You could try something like this. I've removed the % here using a formula and then I'm able to set the field type as 'double' in the select tool. 

Thanks,

Morgan

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Polite123 

Here's a quick example of a way you could do this. Do you have any sample data? That might help give a better option if this doesn't work.

Luke_C_0-1617639517680.png

Polite123
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C  & @Morgan_Thomas ,

I need % symbol as well in the output file and in number format.

Is it possible?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Polite123,

Unfortunately, it isn't possible. In Alteryx number must be a number. It will not contain a percentage sign.

For this, there is no workaround. 

StockMarket
8 - Asteroid

How about creating a DUPLICATE COLUMN first.

That way you can keep one value in Number Format and another value would have the % symbol as well.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@Polite123 

Like others have said this isn't fully possible in alteryx, but you should look into the "keep formatting" option for excel outputs. If you output to a range in a template file and have this column formatted as a percentage it should work.

Labels