Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert replace formula to Alteryx

Polina1234
5 - Atom

Hi there,

I need to do replace, excel formula is =REPLACE(A1,2,1,"_")

Can anyone help me to convert it to Alteryx?

thank you

5 REPLIES 5
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Polina1234 ,

the syntax is replace([field],<String>,<replacement>)

If you click on the function button in the formula tool you will be given a list of all the functions available and you can select it from there. It will then give you the syntax.

mceleavey_0-1620906072974.png

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

KarolinaRoza
11 - Bolide

hi,

Please try:

left([Field1],1)+"_"+Substring([Field1],2)

Karolina

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Polina1234 ,

Using the replace excel formula you are looking to replace the substring that starts at position number 2 of your string (the second character that appears in your text) and has a length of 1.

In Alteryx, one way that I can think of to do that (and hopefully I'm not overcomplicating it) is to look for the substring that starts at position 2 and has a length of 1 (note that in alteryx, you start counting characters from 0 and not 1). That you can do with a substring formula.

Then you want to replace the first occurrence of this substring with an underscore, so this is where you want to use the Replace function; since you only want to replace the first occurrence of this substring and not every occurrence, you can use a ReplaceFirst formula instead.

AngelosPachis_0-1620906702365.png

Not sure if this is the most robust way though so I look forward to see what other people have to suggest.

Cheers,

Angelos

KarolinaRoza
11 - Bolide

Hi @AngelosPachis ,

I am not sure about ReplaceFirst(), in case there is values like "aabcd" it will probably not work..

Karolina

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

You 're right @KarolinaRoza 👍

In that case it wouldn't work, thanks for flagging it

Labels