Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert month abbreviated string to last date of month

darenson
7 - Meteor

I have various data sources where I need to convert the abbreviated month, listed as: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr etc... into the last day of the month (preferably in this format) "2019-01-31", "2019-02-28", "2019-31-03", etc.. all the way to December. 

I tried inserting a replace function, but it doesn't seem to be working for whatever reason.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @darenson ,

I created two examples that you can use in your workflow. Personally, I prefer the first one since it calculates all dates automatically in a formula tool without a second support table.

fmvizcaino_0-1575936422102.png

Take a look at the attached example and let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Please read this article:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/MarqueeCrew-s-Guide-to-Avoiding-Date-Frustration/... 

i Try to explain the potential use case. You can look for oct 1 2019,  add a month and then subtract a day to get the last day. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hello @fmvizcaino 

As opposed to adding a month and and then subtracting a day, you can use DateTimeTrim([Parse],"lastofmonth").  This returns a DateTime value one second before the end of the month, i.e. 2019-02-28 23:59:59 but if you specify that the output is a Date type the time value will be stripped off.

Dan

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@danilang ,

very interesting use of DateTimeTrim(). I never used those functions. You must be aware of data type and output the date type when you really don't care about time. 

i like knowing that it works this way as an option. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@danilang ,

I had no idea you could do something like that with trim. 

Before seeing your reply, I was even thinking about submitting that as an idea for Alteryx. 

Phew!!!! 

Thanks for showing me once again an easier way to get things done! 🙂

Best,

Fernando V.

Labels