cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Convert exponentials values to Numbers in Alphanumeric Field

Atom

Hi  All,

Can someone help me with converting Exponential values to Numbers?

I tried below function. It is Still populating with exponential values.

it has values like below:

CR86418
FCMAHN

9.94E+11

IF IsNumber([id]) THEN
ToNumber([id])
ELSE
trim([id])
ENDIF

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi @Siva546

I think it's to do with the data in the column itself, as the first row contains a string value Alteryx will force the entire column to be string values so IsNumber will always be false in this case.

I'm assuming your data is coming from a csv? If so you can use excel to change the format of the cell to a number and that should bring it in correctly. Otherwise could you say how you are getting the data into Alteryx?

Thanks,

MIchael

Atom
Hi Michael,
Data is coming from sharepoint. I was trying to identify number from string data type and convert it into numeric instead of keeping exponential format.Why it will be false if it contains only numeric data? I agree it will be false when there is alphanumeric data.

I am pretty new to this. Any pointers?

Thnaks in advance!

Asteroid

Hi Siva,

Unfortunately I've never used sharepoint with Alteryx myself, I take it you are using a Share Point Input tool?

If you look at the metadata of the input tool itself you'll see that the column will be some sort of string data type... e.g. String, V_String etc.

This will mean Alteryx will treat every row within this column as if it where a string data type, even if it contains only numeric data. If you are able to post your workflow here I could take a look at it for you and try to resovle your issue.

Thanks,

Michael

Alteryx Partner

Hi @Siva546,

From your input that you share

CR86418
FCMAHN

9.94E+11

I got the output like this, don't know whether is it like this you want or not.. but you can see the workflow to get some idea..

feel free to ask me if you not understand

Atom

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately I cannot upload workflow here. However Data is in Scientific format at the source itself(share point). Will see the possible ways to resolve this issue.

thanks for the reply.

--Siva

Atom

Hi @Syarifhidayat

Can you please share the logic here. I am unable to use the workflow, as there is version mismatch. I am using 11.3 Desktop version.

Alteryx Partner

As you can see from image that I have attached, I used this expression at RegEx Tools, (\d*)$ and will get the result. Tell me if my output is not as you expected

Labels