Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert demographic info to numeric values for predictive analysis

cheunghm4532
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I would like to convert customer demographic info to numeric values for predictive analysis. For example, gender will convert from "M" to a number. I am not too sure if this is the correct way to do it, but I have been trying to use the summarize tool and record ID tool to accomplish this. However, I got the N-Dimensional join error when trying to join the IDs (likely because the customer master code appears more than 1 time in the column). Could you please advise what I should do? Thanks!

Picture 1.png

Herman

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @cheunghm4532 for future reference if you are including the data in the post you can use a 'packaged workflow' which includes the data already mapped into the alteryx workflow saving us time and effort when building a solution for yourself.

You can achieve this by going to 'options' > 'Export Workflow' and ensuring all the assets are selected.

I just looked at your workflow and I believe the error you got was the result of trying to use the 'join multiple' tool which does not make sense in this scenario. Your ID is unique for the specific dimension.

Instead you want to perform a simple join, several times, as in the image below. You could create a macro to do this but in your case I kept it as simple as possible.

Example workflow attached.

Ben

Image.png

cheunghm4532
7 - Meteor

Thanks Ben,

However, I encounter the below error when trying to open your file. My Alteryx version is 11.7.

Picture 2.png

Herman

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

i'm going to step you through the process to downgrade the file, you can try this, if your still stuck then I can do it!

1. Download the .yxzp file

2. Convert the extension of the .yxzp file to .zip (simply rename)

3. Extract the contents of the zip file

4. Identify the workflow file (.yxmd)

5. Open the workflow in notepad

6. Find line 2 and identify where it declares the version "2018.2"

7. Overwrite 2018.2 with 11.7

8. Save

9. Open in Alteryx

Ben

cheunghm4532
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben, I just downloaded the latest version of Alteryx, and your workflow works for me now! Thanks!

Labels