Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert column data type without header

ilotvin
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I'm trying to convert columns from String to Double with the Select tool.

The issue is that the header name changes to Null afterwards.

How can I divide between those two parts?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
GrahamL
8 - Asteroid

Can you post an attachment of a simple example with what it is you are trying to do?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Changing the field type in the Select tool should not affect the name of the field. Could you provide an example of your scenario? An image or attached workflow would greatly help troubleshooting. 

ilotvin
7 - Meteor

capturebefore.PNGCapture After.PNG

GrahamL
8 - Asteroid

Thanks - it looks like the issue is with your Input tool as it is not recognising all of your column headers. In your source file are all the column headers on the same line or are they staggered across multiple rows? The data input tool has a "First Row Contains Field Names" property you can use if they are all on the same line.

ilotvin
7 - Meteor

My headers begin on row 6 (please see attachment), so I configured the input data- start data import on line:6

I assumed that by not checking "the first row contains data", Altreyx will treat line 6 is a header.

GrahamL
8 - Asteroid

Your assumption is correct so something odd is happening with that file. I've attached a sample file and workflow that looks similar to yours which works fine for me.SkipRows.PNG

ilotvin
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your help.

Not sure why but when I configured to import from line 7 then it captured the headers of line 6.

GrahamL
8 - Asteroid

All good - glad to hear it's now running as expected

Labels