community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Convert a single text column that has multiple columns one below the other..

Hi,

I have a pdf file that has tabular data with 5 columns. I have used python tool and converted the pdf file to text. Now I got all the columns and its data in only one single column one followed by other...I have to split this row into individual columns and load in into a table. There are no delimiters. The data in pdf looks similar to the one attached.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Highlighted

I would suggest the following.

1. Use a Sample tool to skip the first row

2. Use a Multi Row formula tool set to look back over 5 rows with expression [Row-5:Id]+1 to create a new Id column

3. Use another multi row formula to create a ColumnId grouped by Id with expression [Row-1:ColumnID]+1

4. Then use a cross tab tool to make the table

Sample attached

Bolide

@sushmitha0127

Here is an example workflow to do what you're asking. I'm pretty much using the same methodology @jdunkerley79 described.

Best,

mmenth

Aurora

Hi @sushmitha0127 

It looks like your data is in the following order 

Description_1

Description_2

Description_3

Description_N

MPN_1

MPN_2

MPN_3

MPN_N

etc

If that that's the case and all 6 columns are included that would give you 34 original rows = 234 records, incl the column names.  Your data appears to missing a value.  Probably a border condition missed by the python script

The attached workflow. Takes the input data, with the embedded headers

Input.png

calculates how many rows there should be based on 6 columns and performs a crosstab

solution.png

to return your original table.

Output.png

Dan  

Hi.. 

Thanks this helped me to some extent. I could convert the first 2 columns but for 3,4,5,6 columns I have all the 4 column names one below the other and then the column values followed. After the column names 4th column values started.  As the 3rd column has only 2 values that came up at very last rows.

Labels