Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

Convert a date into number format

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

I'm a newbie in Alteryx, and what I'm looking for is to separate characters that should belong to another column, so what I did was merge the two columns that had the problem and then used the text to columns tool to separate them using the space character as a delimiter, but when I applied it to my Alteryx, the number format changed to a date format. Below is the image with the issue and how it appears in the output of my Alteryx. What I want is to change the date format to number format. 

Capture.PNG

Or please if you know how I can fix those numbers that should be in the left column (not in the right as the highlighted screenshot) please let me know. 

Thank you all for your kind help. 

Highlighted
9 - Comet

@monigarza- Pls share a sample file so that we can help you. Images when running into transforming data doesn't help because we don't have data file to see the issue real and provide a solution. So, please attach sample data file you are parsing.

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

I'm so sorry for my late response, please find attached the document in Excel that I want to change, as you can see, on column L the dates are wrong, because some cells contains decimals that should be on column K, also on the last column, (V and W) I would like to separate the date from the payment method, (and join this last one, because the payment method is separated, as you can see it is written on column W, and X).  

Would you like me to attach the alteryx that I have created? (but it's wrong formulated) 

Highlighted
9 - Comet

thanks, I will review and get back to you within a day if that's okay. Got a project implementation today.

Highlighted
6 - Meteoroid

Of course!! Thanks a lot again!!  

Highlighted
9 - Comet

@monigarza  -  I reviewed your excel file and can't replicate the errors you mentioned. The dates seem to come out just fine and when the excel file is connected to alteryx, it works ok. Seems like your 'original' file may not be an excel file but a flat/csv/txt type of file....... because all the issues you mentioned in your problem are not visible on excel and when you connect the excel file to Alteryx, dates come out just fine. I would recommend that you give us a file (and workflow that you created to replicate issues you are seeing) that I can help.

hope this makes sense.

Labels