Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert String Duration to HH:MM:SS

DHB
8 - Asteroid

I've got some durations data as strings which I'm having trouble converting to time values because many of them are over 24 hours.  Is there some format I can convert them to that would allow me to sort them by duration.

Duration
26:42:41
105:53:56
50:08:01
21:22:50
73:42:05
108:08:11
1:55:12

Thank you for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@DHB 

Your best bet would be to PADLEFT() the Duration field to a length of 9 padding 0's at the start. This would then allow you to sort the data 

PADLEFT([Duration], 9, '0')

image.png

Hope this helps!

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

black_adder
5 - Atom

Hi DHB,

Put in a text to columns tool, splitting on ":"

Then put in a formula, where you convert them all to minutes (e.g., time = hour*60 + minutes + seconds/60)

Hope this helps

DHB
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both for your solutions - I've cracked it now.

Femi_Olunuga
6 - Meteoroid

Hello 

I have a similar problem and I used the PadLeft, it worked for me but the column is still a string , I want it in date (HH:MM:SS) format so that I can perform other aggregation on it.

How did you go about your, please advise.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Femi_Olunuga 

The solution using the PADLEFT() function won't work since the resulting value is not a compatible TIME format. The hour part should would need to be a value between 00 - 23.

If it is between that, you can put a SELECT tool after and just convert it to a "Time" data type field.

If you haven't already solved for this already, I'd suggest submitting a new post in this channel with some samples and what kind of aggregations you're trying to perform on it.

DHB
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Femi_Olunuga, sorry for my late reply.  At the time you posted your question my hard drive decided to stop working and took with it six years' work.  Thankfully I managed to recover most of it.  @jrgo's answer covers it. 

I created these string fields;

Days: padleft(tostring(FLOOR([TIME_TAKEN]/(24*3600))),2,"0")

Hours: Padleft(Tostring(FLOOR((Mod([TIME_TAKEN],(24*3600))/3600))),2,"0")

Minutes: Padleft(Tostring(FLOOR(MOD([TIME_TAKEN],3600)/60)),2,"0")

Seconds: Padleft(Tostring(Floor(Mod([TIME_TAKEN],60))),2,"0")

I can sort them based on these four fields and I also concatenated them into another string field ([Days]+" Days "+[Hours]+" Hours "+[Minutes]+" Minutes "+[Seconds]+" Seconds").

Hope that helps a bit.

Best,

DHB.

Labels