Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conversion from Normal Excel Sheet to a Pivot Table

shaantrika
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there,

Hope you are doing well.

I am making this post today as I am trying to figure out how to implement pivot tables within Alteryx, but am unable to understand which combination of tools/their configurations I should be using for my specific purpose.

To outline the issue that I would like to solve, I have attached two spreadsheets as a smaller sample.

I would like to pivot off of the spreadsheet labeled "Tasks and Roles" into a pivot table that resembles what I have in the spreadsheet labeled "Records_Pivot", just in pivot form.

If anyone could provide a sample workflow that could be used to reach my end goal of portraying what is in "Records_Pivot" in pivot table form, pivoting off of "Tasks and Roles", that would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Best regards,

Shaan

4 REPLIES 4
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@shaantrika One way of doing this. The PIVOT functionality can be achieved by using the combination of Transpose/Tile/Cross Tab tools. The Record ID tool is used to retain the same order of the Task field. The Multi-Field formula just updates the cross tab output to 'X'

you can go through the weekly challenge which, will give you more idea about pivoting

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-292-It-s-about-Pivoting-Prepping-and-Rep...

binuacs_1-1661465549148.png

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

You may be able to do it with just a crosstab and a formula tool to put in the "X" value.

SPetrie_0-1661465667316.png

shaantrika
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you both for your prompt replies. I have just now got the chance to read your responses and give this a shot.

@binuacs, I have read your solution and it seems to make sense. I have also read @SPetrie's reply and have chosen to try this shorter method out first. Even if I am able to get this to work I will still try your solution to get a better idea of all the tools working in conjunction, couldn't hurt.

@SPetrie, could you click on the formula tool so I can see how you configured it? Is "Value" that you assigned to "X" a separate output column that coordinates in with the roles matching to the tasks by way of the cross-tab tool? A little confused as to how this is working based on the formula tool.

Thank you,

Shaan Trika

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Its just the letter X in a new column called Value to create the values to fill in the cross tab. Could be numeric or something else, I just put X to match your example.

SPetrie_0-1661968471045.png

Labels