Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

ConvError: Summarize a String as a Number

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I learned something new today that comes with a word of warning.  

Did you know that you can summarize a string with a SUM function?  It is not possible without this little trick.  I was working with a module that did just that.  The way that the original developer must have accomplished this magical feat was to configure the SUMMARIZE function when the field was defined as a NUMBER, then ultimately reset the value back to a string. It works.

Here is the other thing that I learned that could affect you.  If the incoming value is defined as a STRING and you simply cast it to a number you might receive a warning message like:

ConvError: Summarize (5): value: 12,345 stopped converting at a comma. It might be invalid.

This conversion error occurred because the number 12345 had a comma in it.  If you have string values that might contain a comma, beware.  The sum of 10,500 and 12,750 is 22.This happens in a selct too.

ConvError: Select (6): value: 12,345 stopped converting at a comma. It might be invalid.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
2 REPLIES 2
AndyC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MarqueeCrew top work again!

Andy Cooper
Senior Solutions Engineer - EMEA
Alteryx
jboschee
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MarqueeCrew,

Could you expand on this.  I think I'm running into something similar. All my sales and units sold are in string and I tried the summarize tool to group by product and sum the sales and units sold.  I receive null values when I run it.

Any advice would be great!

Labels